Second to last week of training is in the books!
Tuesday: 4 mile run
Thursday: 4 mile run
Saturday: 8 mile run at a 9 min mile pace! Finished feeling fantastic!
Total miles: 16 miles
- I really loved this week of taper. I did a few easy runs and I can feel my legs starting to feel fresh again. My 8 miler on Sunday was particularly fantastic. I did my 10 to 2 run/walk ratio and felt amazing and despite all the walking finished with a 9 min mile pace which is faster than my fastest half marathon. My body felt great the whole time, no foot pain, no leg soreness. This taper thing is amazing.
- I meant to go to yoga on Friday but I went to Mohawk Bend instead. Whoops. It was totally worth it. I had two double hops beers, pizzas, bacon wrapped dates, and a glass of wine. It was so worth it.
- My excitement level for next weekend is off the charts. I leave for Chicago on Thursday and I’m excited not only to run the marathon but to go home. I haven’t been to my hometown in almost a year.
My plan for the rest of the week:
- The next several days I’m going to ice my knees, roll my foot on my ball to loosen it up and get organized to go to the race. I already put my body glide and blister preventing foot powder in the mail. I was paranoid that TSA would take them away from me. I planned to carry on all my race day items and I have to carry on all my books for this semester (because law school never takes a break and I’ll have a crap ton of reading to do over the weekend). This is too much for one carryon bag so I made the executive decision to just carry everything on, hence the mailing of anything TSA might take away from me.
- I plan to do one short run on Monday and maybe a short run or yoga session on Tuesday. I read this month’s Runners World and they said for first time marathoners it’s best to take it very easy in the week before the marathon.
- Mentally I’m getting prepared too. I am very excited for the race and my trip home. I want to harness that energy and focus. I’m excited to see family and friends before and after the marathon as well as along the marathon course.
- The blog is likely to be a bit focused on running this week, I promise recipes, restaurants and famers market finds will return in the near future!
Experienced Marathoners: I need you words of wisdom! What advice can you give me pre-marathon?
Sounds like you’re ready! I’m sure you’ll do great and I’m excited for you and to hear about it!
excited for you, my friend!
Ahhhhhh I’m so excited for your Katherine!!!! Just remember the great words you gave me before my marathon in June and you’ll be in the best spirits for the race!
Definitely take it easy this week! I think I did three runs, one 4 miler, and two two milers. I did a bit of walking the day before for the expo, but that was about it!! I can’t wait for you to run the race! You’re going to rock it!!!