The past few days I have been re reading parts of one of my favorite pieces of literature of all time: The Preppy Handbook.
Being from the North Shore of Chicago, being preppy is in my blood. Growing up my mom popped his collar (“you look like a vampire!” my brother and I would yell) and my dad wore a pike lacoste polo shirt to bring me home from the hospital when I was born. I was a girl after all! I love the tongue in cheek humor of the preppy handbook and the whole lifestyle. Its really a throwback to a less complicated time. Preppy-dom feels like a comfy safe home for me.
So, you can imagine that I was excited to hear that the original creators of the Preppy Handbook were writing a modern update of the preppy handbook. A book for us! I really hope more communities in the North Shore are recognized (last time only Lake Forest was) and I am interested to see what the update has to say about modern technology etc. Apparently the book will include “how the old guard of natural-fiber-loving, dog-worshipping, G&T-soaked preppies adapts to the new order of the Internet, cell phones, rehab, political correctness, reality TV and . . . polar fleece”. It also will include:
• Wardrobe: Recent prep brands we are forced to recognize. How to tell Casual Friday from, say, Saturday.
• Money: We never talk about it.
• Food: Does the Food Network mean we’re going to have to cook? Bake? Now you’re going too far.
• Scandals: Poor Mrs. Astor. When Mummy’s plastic surgery goes terribly wrong. Rehab and the slammer: the new prep schools.
• We’re outta here: When to name something after yourself, and when not. The right obituary. What to do with your dogs if you predecease them.
• NO TEXTING AT THE TABLE, PLEASE.
You can read about the new version here. It will be released in September. Humm… late birthday present for me?
PS: Just read that their opening a stand alone JCrew wedding boutique. omg. omg. omg.