Kelley over at Kelocity tagged me in this post. I will forever love question posts so I am totally filling it out right now. Basically I will tell you 11 random things about me and then answer 11 questions Kelley came up with and you will love it. Capiche?
11 things about me:
- I love to eavesdrop on conversations in public restaurants. Sometimes I like to fill in the details of what people’s lives are like based on their conversations.
- I want to get a PhD in teen television dramas and the role that race plays or doesn’t play. Probably the least practical thing to study but an awesome excuse to watch the original 90210 and Gossip Girl.
- I started watching Downton Abbey on Friday and I am completely addicted. I love Branson the Irish revolutionary chauffer and I’ve never wanted cousins to hook up more in my life.
- I overuse the word “amazing”.
- I’m a terrible speller. Like really, really bad. I remember when I was little worrying that I wouldn’t get very far in life not being able to spell. Clearly, a baseless concern.
- I once went on a date with a former Romney for President staffer. Our date had all the same struggles as Mitt’s actual campaign. Needless to say there wasn’t a second one.
- I ran for president of student government when I was in college and lost. I got the election results the week that my grandpa died. It was a bad week.
- The first legal drink I had was a Lychee Martini from Douzo in Boston. It was glorious.
- I’ve been walking around with a smashed smart phone screen for almost a year because I’m too lazy to take it to a shop to get it fixed.
- I aspire to be as powerful as Victoria Greyson. I also really want her house.
- I bought my first Vogue from a gas station in Marco Island, Florida in April 2002 (yes, I was 14). I have been obsessed since and yes I subscribe.
Would you change anything about your high school experience?
I don’t think so but it was so long ago I may have romanticized it. Perhaps I would have spent more time with my close friends I’m still in contact with and less time buying into drama.
What was your first car?
My 2006 Toyota Corolla. Yes, I roll in the rolla.
Did you have a secret hiding place when you were a kid?
Good question! I didn’t really have hiding places but when I was a teen I loved taking the EL into Evanston and spending hours alone in a bookstore. Not hiding but I loved the alone time.
Do you know any other languages? Do you wish you could speak any others?
I can barely speak basic Spanish. I wish I took French in high school because it would help me not sound like an idiot in restaurants (oh so practical).
Name the top five things on your bucket list.
1. Work on a presidential campaign
2. Go to the Vanity Fair Oscar Party
3. Buy a Birkin purse
4. Fall in love and go on an extended trip to Paris
5. Spend an entire summer on Martha’s Vineyard
Ever have 15 minutes of fame?
Not really. The closest I came was probably when I was in college and I was written up as “She is Simmons”. You can read it here. Please disregard everything I said about my ex and note that I didn’t win a McArthur Genius award, my boss did. If I won that award I would not have student loans right now and I’d also be the youngest recipient ever.
If you could excel at something you currently don’t, what would it be?
Being mellow. I’m OK at this (way better than I used to be) but I wish things rolled off my back more easily.
Would you ever want to write a book? What would it be about?
Yes! I would love to write a book about politics, race and popular culture.
What’s your greatest fear?
Missing life and being boring.
What was your favorite grade in school and why?
Loving second semester 3L. The final year at each school is my favorite but this final year is less stressful than final years past.
Twilight or Hunger Games?
I have deep seated hate for Twilight but I love Hunger Games!
Feel free to answer some of the questions in the comments.